- Starting at 6 weeks, kittens may be adopted immediately if the requirements listed below are met.
- The kitten must be spayed/neutered and vaccinated within 6 months of the adoption.
- The time between adoption and spay/neuter appointment is considered the foster period.
- An adoption application will need to be submitted and approved prior to entering into this situation. Please select “Foster-to-Adopt” when asked in the application.
- Please review the Foster-to-Adopt Contract below. A copy of this agreement will be provided and must be signed and dated by you at the time you pick up your cat and enter into this situation.
Benefits of Foster-To-Adopt
- You will take your cat/kitten home sooner instead of waiting after spay/neuter.
- The kitten will be younger and will be imprinted on you earlier.
- You can begin bonding, training, and developing a relationship and routine with your cat.
- You have a trial period to make sure you are fully prepared for adoption before you make the commitment. (Although we ask that you only enter into this agreement if you are serious about adopting).
- You get support and advice from us in integrating the cat into your home and family.
- The cat doesn’t have to wait to experience having a home of his/her own and can avoid changing foster homes and adjusting to new environments more times than necessary.
Terms of This Agreement
This agreement is between Detroit Alley Cats and the Foster Parent (You). Detroit Alley Cats agrees to give you possession of a foster cat/kitten contingent upon the terms outlined below. As a foster parent, you agree to the following terms:
- Adoption fee is $60 for kittens and $40 for cats older than 1 year.
- Adoption fee is due at the time of pick-up and entering into the Foster-To-Adopt agreement.
- Adoption fee is non-refundable after 5 days.
- Our veterinary fee required to complete the adoption is an additional $90.
- This covers spay/neuter, distemper vaccine, rabies vaccine, and combo test for FIV/FeLV.
- Veterinary fee is due at the time of pickup after the veterinary appointment.
- Veterinary fee is non-refundable.
- You may choose to use your own veterinarian at your own expense instead. See additional information below.
- All supplies including food and litter must be provided by you while the cat is in your foster care.
- You must assume all responsibility for the cat’s wellbeing.
- Cat must be kept primarily indoors and NOT left outside unsupervised, even in a fenced yard, for extended periods. If the Foster Parent does not have a fenced yard, the cat will live inside at all times and not be taken outside without a harness.
- You must comply with all state and local laws relative to the keeping and care of the animal.
- You agree to be responsible for arranging for the safe care of all foster cat(s) in the event of travel and agree to pay all related boarding expenses if necessary.
- You will foster the cat/kitten until they are of the required age for their spay/neuter appointment, at least 10 weeks old and over 2.5 lbs.
- The cat/kitten must be in good health in the days leading up to the appointment and display no symptoms of illness such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive sneezing and/or coughing.
- Appointment will be made by Detroit Alley Cats when it is determined that the cat/kitten meets the size and wellness requirements for within 6-10 weeks of that date.
- You will drop off the cat(s) to the Detroit Alley Cats location the night before the appointment and will pick them up the day of their release.
- The total adoption fee for this option is $150 for kittens and $120 for cats older than 1 year.
Alternative Spay/Neuter/Vaccination Appointment
- Detroit Alley Cats gives you the option of taking the cat/kitten to your own veterinarian for their spay/neuter/vaccination appointment at your expense.
- The spay/neuter/vaccination appointment must be within 6 months of adoption date.
- Should you take this option, a verification of your scheduled appointment must be emailed to Detroit Alley Cats – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upon completion of the spay/neuter appointment, a copy of your discharge papers must also be emailed to Detroit Alley Cats.
- The total adoption fee for this option is $60 for kittens and $40 for cats older than 1 year.
- Detroit Alley Cats will take every precaution necessary to ensure that the cat(s) are in good health prior to entering into this agreement. However, Detroit Alley Cats cannot be held responsible/liable for any unforeseen health problem that may develop once the animal is in your care prior to and after the adoption is completed. If unforeseen problems arise, you are responsible for keeping the animal separated from any other resident pets (in cases of contagious and/or easily transmittable illnesses) and you are also responsible for any medical needs of resident animals as a result of such.
- Detroit Alley Cats gives each cat preventative flea and worm treatment prior to placing them into a foster home. However, if the cat/kitten does not display symptoms of illness, no additional tests are made prior to placement.
- Should the cat display any symptoms of illness, Foster Parent must notify Detroit Alley Cats immediately, and proceed with the care as instructed by Detroit Alley Cats.
- For mild issues, we suggest that you use the TeleVet virtual veterinary service and pick up the medication at your local clinic.
- For severe issues, the cat must be taken to an emergency veterinary clinic or your full-service veterinarian that would be available to you on short notice. A list of local clinics will be given to you. You are responsible for all emergency and full-service veterinary expenses.
- You are responsible for making the appointment and transporting the cat(s) to and from the veterinarian.
- The cat must be picked up at our Southwest Detroit location in your own cat carrier. Carrier must be fully assembled upon your arrival.
- When using our spay/neuter service, the cat must be dropped off to us the night before their spay/neuter appointment, and picked up the day of their release.
- You must make arrangements for all other transportation required.
- In the event that you cannot continue to foster the cat(s) during the foster period, you will contact Detroit Alley Cats and schedule a time to drop off the cat(s). Although we will take our cat back immediately, we ask that you be respectful of our limited capacity and allow us 1-2 weeks to locate a new foster home.
- After the foster period the adoption is considered finalized and the cat is fully your responsibility. Detroit Alley Cats may not consider rehoming the cat if it doesn’t meet our surrender requirements.
- You hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless Detroit Alley Cats, and its Board of Directors, from any and all liability arising out of or in consequence of, or injury sustained as a result of, any activity connected with volunteering for Detroit Alley Cats as a foster home or adopting a Detroit Alley Cat.
By signing this agreement, the Foster Parent agrees that he/she has read and understands the above and agrees to abide by all of its provisions. Detroit Alley Cats may reclaim the cat(s), if in their judgment the cat(s) are not being cared for properly, or if in Detroit Alley Cats sole discretion, it is determined that the Foster Parent has not complied with the terms of this agreement.